birding-aus

birding-aus Archives - IE Access

Subject: birding-aus Archives - IE Access
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 19:21:41 +0800

This problem is very perplexing. Some more information. And finally the solution.

As I said previously, on my new laptop I can get to the birding-aus Archives at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus with no problems. But when I click on the Date next to the month I get the error message "HTTP 424 The webpage cannot be found" It is trying to connect to http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/2010-05/index.html

Using Google, I found the following message about "Swift Parrots" at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2010-04/msg00101.html from where I can click on Date at the top left to get to http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2010-04/index.html#00101 and then at the top left I can click on Next Period to get to http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/birding-aus/2010-05/index.html which is effectively where I want to get to.

On this computer (my old computer) when I go to the archives and click on the Date next to the month it connects to http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2010-05/index.html

So why is my new computer trying to connect to http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/2010-05/index.html (without the /birding-aus)???????? It is the same web page

So I went back to the birding-aus home page at www.birding-aus.org and clicked on Archive at the top. Here the link is http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/ and this takes me to http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/ and the link to the Date next to the month is fine and works!! So why does putting the final / make a difference????

So problem solved, but I am still confused.