birding-aus

Sean Dooley's Lunchbox Soapbox

To: Andrew Thelander <>, Sean Dooley <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Sean Dooley's Lunchbox Soapbox
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 03:18:05 +0930
We do need a new paradigm, one where not only people like us know and love
our wildlife.  How many schoolkids do you know who learn about polar bears
and tigers, but know absolutely nothing about Australian wildlife outside of
kangaroos and koalas?  And the number of people who tell me that Steve Irwin
was great because he publicised Australian fauna to children is amazing. He
certainly influenced some of the tour guides I know!

I believe for a start that some species of still common wildlife ought to be
made more available as pets so that at least our children will know and love
them.  We've had lots of top-down solutions that go as far as prosecuting
people for touching roadkills (I haven't been prosecuted yet, but I've been
threatened, for taking dead snakes to school to teach kids how to tell the
difference between venomous and non-venomous taxa), and as far as I can see
it has done little to better the situation.

And while I'm on a rant, I'm sick and tired of having to persuade my
semi-traditional relatives not to take kittens out to Arnhem Land because
their kids want one - yes they've seen them in pet shops and on television
so they must be nice to have -  or to buy pretty plants like those the
landscapers in their wisdom have used to decorate the local Aboriginal
reserve.

--
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
PO Box 3460 NT 0832, AUSTRALIA

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate
Interpreter/transcriber, Lonely Planet Guide to Aboriginal Australia

Research survey:
For American birders -
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=h3NCqTwur3H_2bPlbFtk_2bSpw_3d_3d
For UK and other birders
-http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=adx6k4cK_2fqMWzw79jmrmzg_3d_3d

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com.au
http://www.earthfoot.org
www.fatbirder.com/
For copies of Birds of Australia¹s Top End or Quiet Snake Dreaming, visit
amazon.com