birding-aus

Red-tailed Black Cockatoos in Beenak Forest?

To: "Nikolas Haass" <>, "brian fleming" <>, <>
Subject: Red-tailed Black Cockatoos in Beenak Forest?
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:56:50 +1000
Anthea, the record seems a bit strange to me. If he does see them quite often I
wonder if he can get a photograph.

If they are wild birds, Nikolas is right, it seem more likely that they are
Glossy Black-Cockatoo. That being said the nearest recent record of Glossies is
from Tambo Uppe(3/1/2010) near Bruthun, about 250km east from Beenak. This
record in itself is unusual, with the birds normally found (in Vic) from Cape
Conran Coastal Park to Croajingalong between 350 km and 450 km east of Beenak.
It is however a very strange year, so you never can tell. You just have to
think about the recent influx of Scarlet Honeyeater.

The nearest wild population of Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo is 450 km west of
Beenak near Casterton.

There may be possibility of an established escapee population, more likely to
be Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo, as they are more commonly held in captivity.
Aside from that there was a recent sighting of a single Red-tailed
Black-Cockatoo in Bundoora. I'm interested to hear where this record takes us.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby