birding-aus

can hardly believe it

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: can hardly believe it
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:10:17 +1100
This is a message I sent to B-A on 16-7-1998. The relevance remains but
the events are now further in the past........ Fortunately by searching
for the word "uranium" I found it quickly.

I have been at a fairly out of the way spot in the south of the ACT and
stopped just inside a gate for quite a while watching and counting the
ducks on a farm dam during the ACT Bird Atlas project about ten years
ago. About an hour later, I had police on my tail, as someone was
worried, I thought I was discretely away from the house and not a
bother. The police took a bit of convincing as to what I was doing and I
asked them to pass on my apology. It seems there had been trouble with
people shooting at horses and signs etc there recently. It must have
been a 50 km round trip for the police. In the early 1980s, I used to
bird survey with Graham Leach around Marburg, Laidley etc (west of
Brisbane). We used to regularly stop on the road outside the property,
near the gate in view of a nice farm dam, (at about the same time on
Sunday mornings as Graham followed a regular route). One time there was
two Australian Hobbies zooming around a large tree and I went through
the gate to see if maybe they were nesting. Someone came out and
enquired what were doing. When Graham told them they said they had
noticed him (or us) several times before and had concluded that we must
be "URANIUM PROSPECTORS"!

Philip