birding-aus

Info re Amytornis rowleyi etc

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Info re Amytornis rowleyi etc
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:04:27 +1100
Hi all,

As always Birding Aus has come up with some usable info regarding my request
regarding updates to Les Christidis and Walter Boles: *Systematics and
Taxonomy of Australian Birds*. 2008.

First, the new BARC info was great and thanks to all those who work on BARC.
It was very convenient to see it on B-Aus

Second, it seems that there is no formal update or published work on
non-vagrant birds since C & B 2008, and some people who have replied have
suggested there never will be. I hope they are wrong but who knows.

Third, I received an email from Phil Gregory with a very useful checklist
that will meet all my needs until something formal is published. Evidently,
some years ago Phil published a booklet called “Birds of Australia and its
Island Territories; A checklist”. Well, he now has an electronic .pdf update
(v4.2) and I guess if anyone is interested they should contact him at:
 and ask for a copy.

This is NOT a new Australian list, it is a compilation of a number of lists
and some educated speculation. It is mainly a blend of C & B and IOC with
the extra non-C & B birds marked so that they are readily visible so that
the list user can make a choice. Potential splits are included and indicated
by indenting the race concerned.  International birders will possibly use
the list in its full IOC form.

This checklist gives a quick cross reference between the present C & B
status, and the IOC status, and what MIGHT happen in the future. It also
pulls out into an appendix all the island territory birds such as Boigu,
Christmas Is, Norfolk Is etc, the presumed ship assisted birds, recent
extinctions etc

It will not be every birders cup of tea but all in all as an extra reference
it is certainly interesting.

Cheers

Jenny