birding-aus

My RFI Amytornis rowleyi?

To: "Michael Ramsey" <>, <>, <>
Subject: My RFI Amytornis rowleyi?
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:04:24 +1100
This was something I'd mentioned on B-Aus earlier. There hasn't been any
formal announcement or research indicating that Amytornis striatus
rowleyi would (or should be) split. It's been indicated informally that
if rowleyi was examined using current anatomical criteria that it
probably be awarded full species status.

A. s. rowleyi is found at 3 sites. At Bladensburg NP just south of
Winton, along Jundah Rd 120 km south of Winton, and most commonly
directly around township of Opalton, all central Qld.

>From what I can gather the nearest population of Striated Grasswren to
those found at Opalton are: Uluru in the NT, 1600 km away; just north
and south of Arkaroola in SA, 1000 km away (but are these Short-tailed?,
they're Atlas as Striated); and Yathong Nature Reserve in central NSW,
1400 km away. There is also an historic record from the Channel Country
just nth of Birdsville, which is only 740 km away. The bird in Hattah
(Vic) and Gluepot (SA) are 2000 km away.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby