birding-aus

Hooked Wandering Albatross

To: <>
Subject: Hooked Wandering Albatross
From: <>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:52:45 +1100
Hi All,

Back on the 21st of February I led a pelagic off Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania. It
was a good trip with some nice birds. We also had a Wandering Albatross that
had been hooked on fishing gear and the trip report contained the following...

"One Wandering Albatross was observed with a hook (and accompanying leader)
from commercial fishing gear embedded in the palate of the upper mandible. We
captured it using tasty morsels of beef fat and a hand net, notified DPWI staff
and returned it to shore for a vet check. Fingers crossed for a positive
outcome."

Thankfully there was a positive outcome. The bird received minor surgery the
evening of its capture and was released soon after off the Tasman Peninsula.

Recently 'our' albatross has received a bit of media attention. Hopefully this
publicity has helped draw attention to the plight of albatross and other
seabirds that are prone to 'interactions' with fishing gear.

Here's an article in the Sydney Morning Herald - the same article appeared in
The Age (SMH sister paper)
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/challenge-to-get-seabirds-off-the-hook-20100315-q928.html

Here's another with a link to a few more pics in The Mercury
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/03/02/130901_tasmania-news.html

Cheers,
Rohan

Rohan Clarke