birding-aus

Penguinless

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Penguinless
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 03:42:54 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Did the circuit of beaches and headlands around Elizabeth Bay, as far north as
Harrington and as far south as Mungo Brush, to no avail (in terms of vagrant
penguins anyway). I visited a few places that Steve wasn't able to get to
yesterday but no clues I'm afraid. There were quite large schools of baitfish
off Elizabeth / Seven Mile Beaches that were 100's of metres long, attended
only by a few gulls and terns. Plenty of food around for a famished Ferdinand.

I did manage to see Australia's southernmost Beach Stone-curlews (Old Bar) and
Radjah Shelduck (Bombah Point, Myall Lakes) during the course of the day. A few
Double-banded Plovers at Harrington also, along with some PGPs with full black
suit on.

Mick Roderick