birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 01:30:34 +1000
Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 28 Feb 2010.

Sun 28 Feb      Radjah Shelduck Cairns Foreshore
At 5.00 pm this afternoon (Sunday) a pair of Radjah Shelduck were
sighted at the northern end of the foreshore esplanade. A dog not under
control by its owner spooked them and they flew into the corner mudflats
next to the mangroves where they stayed for 15 minutes (photo attached).
Then they flew back onto the foreshore area 50 metres north where the
grassy open area had lots of standing water from the recent rains. They
were there for at least another 15 minutes until I left the site. They
did not seem concerned by people walking but uncontrolled dogs that
chase them proved too much. Wonderful to see this species here.
Peter Valentine

Sun 21 Feb      Red-necked Crake Paluma Township (70km NW of Townsville,
Qld)
One Red-necked Crake spotted today on an early morning walk up Lennox
Crescent. We watchd it scurry from the Paluma Potter's workshop across
the bitumen road and into the rainforest adjoining. Too quick for any ID
photo. 15 minutes later on our return walk, we were more prepared as we
watched it working its way along the mown road verges. As soon as it
realised we were watching, it disappeared into the thick rainforest, but
I did manage a shaky long-range, low-light ID picture, attached. This is
Chris and my first sighting of this generally very secretive bird in
Paluma...
Len and Chris Ezzy

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia North
Queensland <http://www.birdsaustralianq.org/>  and Townsville Region
Bird Observers Club <http://www.trboc.org.au/>  and co-ordinated and
hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .