birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 01:30:54 +1000
Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 21 Feb 2010.

Sun 21 Feb      Painted Honeyeater Chiltern (Bartley's Block)
A brief visit to Bartley's Block, Chilten, before a large thunderstorm
came in. We saw one adult bird on top of a large eucalypt, and heard at
least one other.
Paul Dodd, Ruth Woodrow & Tim Dolby

        Magpie Goose Lake Purrumbete
A single bird at the western end of the Lake Purrumbete settlement.
Richard & Margaret Alcorn

        Grey Goshawk (white form) Lake Bullen Merri, Camperdown
This morning flying over the lake. Also seen nearby Brown Goshawk and
Black-shouldered Kite. At Mt Leura, only a few kms away, 2 Peregrine
Falcons were observed flying at a soaring Little Eagle.
Richard & Margaret Alcorn

        Lesser Sand Plover Seaspray
Several, loosely associating with Red-capped Plovers at The Honeysuckles
Tim Bawden

        Common Sandpiper, Common Tern, Lewin's Rail, Buff-banded Rail
Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Single Common Sandpiper at T-section, Common Tern at Kirk Pt (and at
least 20 Pied Oystercatcher), good views of a Lewin's Rail at the Spit,
Buff-banded Rail at the Ford. Big mixed flock of Royal and Yellow-billed
Spoonbill (at least 45) at T-section.
Greg Oakley

        Fork-tailed Swift, Brolga Lake Mokoan
The Murray Goulburn BOCA branch has been doing regular surveys at Lake
Mokoan over the summer. Highlights from this mornings outing were more
than 40 Fork-tailed Swifts over the boat ramp, quite close giving good
views. Also a pair of Brolga were seen out on the dry area of the lake.
Murray Goulburn BOCA Branch

Sat 20 Feb      Black & Pied Honeyeaters Gama
Both Pied & Black Honeyeaters were present at Gama yesterday (Sat). Also
a mixed flock of about 100 White-browed & Masked Woodswallows. Later, 4
Cockatiel flew through on the outskirts of Sea Lake.
Brian Johnston

        Black Falcon Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Single Black Flacon harrying stints and sandpipers at T section lagoons.
Did not catch any but put a halt to my search for a Pec or other unusual
waders.
Mark Stanley

        Pectoral Sandpiper, Spotted Harrier & Little Curlew Western
Treatment Plant, Werribee
Pectoral Sandpiper (1) in T-Section Lagoons, Spotted Harrier (1)at
Paradise Road and Little Curlew (3 found yesterday by Alan & Hazel
Veevers). Thanks to Maarten Hulzebosch for alerting me last week to the
Pectoral and Danny Rogers for the Harrier.
John Barkla, Fred Smith & Alison Street

        Ruff Reedy Lake, Bellarine Peninsula
One Ruff foraging in the company of 150 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers at Reedy
Lake. Enter from southern end of Moolap Station Road and walk east to
the Lake. Bird was seen around the flooded Melaleuca bushes (these are
near some nest boxes). Also at this site one Wood Sandpiper,
Black-tailed Godwits, Marsh Sandpipers, Greenshanks, Red-kneed Dotterels
and Masked Lapwings.
Ash Herrod, Robyn Atkinson, Steve Atkinson, Ken Haines

Fri 19 Feb      Common Sandpiper Mouth of Kororoit Creek
1 Mouth of Kororoit Creek. Feeding amongst Rocks near drain confluence
with Kororoit Creek.
Colin Mulvogue

        Nankeen Night-Heron Horsham Cell
Juvenile 8pm this evening along the river on Barnes BLVD - Perched in
tree on other side of the river - was very interested in trying to land
amongst the reeds near were I was. Photograph obtained but too far away
even for the 800mm lens.
lance peters

Thu 18 Feb      White-bellied Sea-Eagle and Wedge-Tailed Eagle Werribee
Zoo, Werribee
One imm.Sea-Eagle at the Werribee River on Zoo property. Two
Wedge-tailed Eagles present at the zoo for sometime now. They displayed
a very keen interest in one of our young Black Bucks and creating some
concern amongst the keepers. Also present, several Black Kites and one
Little Eagle.
Maarten Hulzebosch

        White-backed Swallow Gully Track, Welshmans Reef, north of
Newstead
Flock of about a dozen birds with White-browed Woodswallows and Rainbow
Bee-eaters. I haven't seen this species in the area for many years.
Geoff Park

        Peregrine Falcon Heidelberg Hieghts
2 sightings of Peregrine Falcons with prey in a large Norfolk Pine at
the front of my house. Prey appeared to be young Indian Mynahs. First
sighting was approx. 8:00pm 18/2/10. Second sighting was approx. 7:30am
19/2/10. Many photos available. Reasonable quality. Happy to send if
interested.
James Pacher

        Shining Bronze-Cuckoo and New Holland Honeyeater The Esplanade
Portarlington
This morning I observed a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo (juvenile) sitting in
She oaks in my backyard. It was eating small caterpillars and was
visited by a New Holland Honeyeater, which are very common, that
appeared to feed it. Although I watched it for about half an hour I
observed the feeding by the honeyeater only once (and didn't catch in on
camera unfortunately).
Robyn Duff

Wed 17 Feb      White-browed Woodswallow Lerderderg River, Bacchus
Marsh.
Whilst walking the Federation walking track near the toilet block on
Gisborne Rd, I came upon a group of approx 25 White-browed Woodswallows
flying with a small number of Welcome Swallows. Many of them landed in
the top of a dying Blackwood and some were calling.
David Whelan

        Plumed Whistling-Duck Wilby
Overnight more Plumed Whistling-Ducks have arrived at a large farm dam.
There are now over 20. I managed a photo this morning. The birds were
very flighty and took off soon after the photo was taken giving their
whistling calls and then settling in a paddock nearby.
Michael Ramsey

Tue 16 Feb      Plumed Whistling-Duck Wilby
Six birds seen with other waterfowl around a large farm dam.
Michael Ramsey

        Peregrine Falcon Portarlington
Both Brown and Peregrine Falcons seen in east end of Tower Rd,
Portarlington
Alan Palmer

Mon 15 Feb      White-throated Needletail Intersection of Warrigal Rd &
Princess Hwy Oakleigh
While waiting for the Lights to turn Red at this fairly large
intersection at 12.30pm today, I noticed 12 White Throated Needletails
flying low over the traffic. This is the second time in 33 years that I
have seen this species flying in the skies above Warrigal Rd. This one
bird I would like to photograph!
Con Baltas

        Banded Lapwing Greater Melbourne
2 Leakes Rd. Tarneit , at New Housing Estate. Landed for a short time ,
then left in a northern direction.
Colin Mulvogue

        Black Honeyeater Gully Track, Welshmans Reef 4 km north of
Newstead
Single bird seen (others heard calling) feeding in and around the canopy
of Red Box in area of coppice regrowth.
Geoff Park

        Australasian Bittern & Great Egret Reedy Lake, Moolap (near
Geelong)
Last Sat. 13th Feb. members of the GFNC Bird Group walked the perimeter
of the northern half of Reedy Lake observing a total of 56 species. 2
Aust. Bittern were flushed and an amazing 71 No. Great Egret (3 flocks)
were observed feeding in the shallows. Other birds of interest were
Magpie Geese, Aust. Shoveler, 200 Royal Spoonbill, Latham's Snipe, 25
Marsh Sandpiper, 11 Red-kneed Dotterel. It certainly is a most important
wetland in these times of drought.
Tom Fletcher

Sun 14 Feb      Australasian Darter LaTrobe Uni, Bundoora
Excellent views of single female swimming (Loch Ness monster
impersonation) then drying on lowest lake (near Darebin Ck).
Peter Bennet

Sat 13 Feb      Elegant Parrot Cape Nelson
Happened upon 3 Neophemas at the edge of the main carpark at Cape
Nelson. I was astounded to see 2 with a 2-toned blue-frontal band &
wings, & the yellowish olive upperparts (not greyish-olive) confirmed my
ID. 2 adult Elegant Parrots were bathing in a small pond with a juvenile
Blue-winged Parrot. There were another 20 or so Blue-wings in area,
mostly juvenile. Also flushed 2 Beautiful Firetails near the lighthouse.
Heaps of Rufous Bristlebirds singing, & a few glipses also. Lots of
birds around, Silvereyes, Yellow-faced Honeyeaters. Also Peregrine flew
over, then was seen going straight out to sea! Seabirds scattered
offshore, best was a Black-browed Albatross & an Arctic Jaeger.
Kevin Bartram

Thu 11 Feb      Little, Common, Caspian and Crested Tern, BT Godwits,
Sharp and Marsh Sandpipers, RN Stints, The Mitchell River Silt Jetties
East Gippsland
Sand spit in Cut only accessible via watercraft. 60 + Little Tern in
breeding and trans plumage, 20 + LT fledglings (x Lake Tyers colony), 75
Common Tern, 2 Caspian Tern (NBP), 83 Crested Tern, 8 BT Godwits, 12
Sharpies, 22 Red-necked Stint, 6 Marsh SP, 211 Silver Gulls, 1 adult
White-bellied Sea Eagle.
Faye Bedford

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/victoria.html>  and
co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .