birding-aus

Herdsman Lake, WA

Subject: Herdsman Lake, WA
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:48:55 +0000
Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra

-----Original Message-----
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:21:30
To: <>
Cc: Diana Bryant<>

A ride around this well-known Perth wetland this morning produced some good
finds among the usual rich regular avifauna.
A Spotless Crake and a Baillon's Crake complemented the half-dozen Buff-banded
Rails seen wandering around in the open in grassy areas.
A Banded Stilt seen from the more eastern of the two bird-hides on the northern
lake-shore was as pleasing as it was unexpected.  More common but still
appreciated were 5 Red-necked Avocet.
Large wading species included all 3 ibis, Great and Little Egret (several of
each), White-faced Heron and Rufous
Night-heron.
All the southern ducks (with the exception of Freckled and Chestnut Teal) as
usual.
Rainbow Bee-eater and Sacred Kingfisher two of the more appealing summer
regulars. And 3 cormorant species plus Darter is normal but still enjoyable.
There was a small collection of waders (perhaps 10 or so) at the back of
Floreat Waters which were just beyond binocular ID range - if anyone gets down
there with a scope I would be interested to hear what they were.
Finally, a notable absentee (both today and at Christmas when I last visited)
was Brown Honeyeater - neither seen nor heard. Are they seasonal at this site
or is there some other explanation for their absence? I seem to recall them
being invariably present when I lived in Perth years ago and visited Herdsman
reasonably regularly.
Oh, one last observation, not reported at Christmas, was a Cockatiel (a
presumed escape?) feeding on the grass on the eastern side of the lake near the
footpath (mentioned just for the record -  did anyone else see this bird before
it either returned to its owner or met an untimely end?)
Richard
Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra