birding-aus

Re: Asian House Gecko

To: Birding-Aus <>,
Subject: Re: Asian House Gecko
From: Peter Higgins <>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:18:44 +1100
Carl, Birding-Aus

I live in Sawtell, just south of Coffs Harbour.  I first saw (briefly) what was almost certainly a House Gecko
here, at my house, 27 May 2007 and confirmed them 16 January 2008; there were no records in between.  They were heard or seen a few times up to July 2008 after which we were away from here for a year or so.  On our return in mid-October 2009, they were heard regularly, almost nightly at times, up till the present.  I have also heard them in the camp kitchen at the Sawtell Reserve/Caravan Park in the first half of 2009.

We also have Northern Leaf-tailed Geckos here, around the house.  Rarely seen (usually when getting timber from a stockpile beneath the house or within a workshed), and certainly not obviously hunting around the lit areas of the house at night.  I have no idea whether there is any negative impact on the Leaf-taileds from the presence of the House Geckos; I hope not.

Cheers, Peter
Peter Higgins, Sawtell