birding-aus

Fwd: [bngbirds] The emu

To: peter crow <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Fwd: [bngbirds] The emu
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:30:55 +0930
I assume you mean overseas, for emu products are sent interstate, which
reminds me of a some incidents I still find hilarious!

When doing the illustrations for "Birds of Australia's Top End" I contacted
an emu farm down south and asked them to send me a head and a phallus, which
they did.

I hung the head in a net from my clotheslines and let it rot.  When my son
Rowan's girlfriends protested, I reminded him there were worse things in
life.  After all, I'd spent a couple of years rendering down dolphins on the
kitchen stove.

The phallus arrived on my wedding anniversary.  At the time I was sitting on
a barquentine in Darwin Harbour having been away for some days with a bunch
of teenagers.  My husband rang to tell me it was sitting in the freezer.
The trip organiser, knowing it was my anniversary, asked what my husband had
to say.  So I repeated his exact words: "There's a present waiting for you
in the freezer".

"What is it?" she asked, innocently, "Chocolates?"
"No", I replied, "It's an emu penis".

"Oh", she said, quickly gathering her thoughts.  "That was to be my second
guess"!

The other phallus story (concerning the same organ) I think I should only
share with Helen Larson!

One day I should write a book about writing books!
Denise L Goodfellow