birding-aus

Fwd: [bngbirds] The emu

To: peter crow <>
Subject: Fwd: [bngbirds] The emu
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:30:52 +1100
Peter,

The Emu farming racket has popped up on every Continent bar Antarctica and has invariably failed everywhere it was spruiked, leaving a trail of financially ruined people in its wake, except for those who sold the birds and eggs to the poor suckers (sorry, I meant investors) who put up their hard earned with stars in their eyes. While living in France in the early Noughties, we were approached with an "investment opportunity" raising Emus in the Department of Puy de Dôme, not a
particularly good habitat for Emus - very serious snow.

I remember reading a few years back, that Emus had become a road
hazard in Texas, because disgruntled Emu punters had herded their
stock out the gate onto State land, from where they roamed free and
caused all manner of havoc, see
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=19980819&id=aNo0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=LSEGAAAAIBAJ&pg=6999,5992775

Cheers,

Carl Clifford