birding-aus

RFI Cue - Mt Magnet, WA

Subject: RFI Cue - Mt Magnet, WA
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:51:06 +0800

Peter

A couple of days might be pushing it, as Cue is 650km from Perth. Four days would be better.

Western Bowerbird - There is a bower at Nallan Station. Contact them if you wish to go there. They are very helpful. But you would have a reasonable chance of seeing it around the town of Mt Magnet and at The Granites just north of Mt Magnet. They are at Walga Rock west of Cue.

Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush - This is reasonably common in the mulga around Cue. Especially areas with blue bush scattered around. See my web site. Nallan Station, just east of Cue off the Sandstone Road and the road to Walga Rock. Has been reported at The Granites and at the golf course in Mt Magnet but I haven't seen it there. Learn the call. You can often hear the high pitched whistle well before you see the bird.

Grey Honeyeater - The road south of Payne's Find towards Beacon. A good chance where there is Acacia minirichi, a mulga with a reddish trunk and stringy bark. See my web site. It is a chance on Nallan Station but I have only seen it there twice. Learn the call. They hardly call, but the call is easily recognised and can be a good way to locate them.

Slaty-backed Thornbill - A good chance in similar areas to the CBQT. Identify it by call. Chestnut-rumped Thornbill is very common. They can often associate as mixed flocks of thornbills (CRT, YRT, IT, SBT and Southern Whiteface). It has been seen along the road east of Payne's Find towards Sandstone, but I haven't seen it there. It has been reported at The Granites.

Other species that may be of interest are :

Banded Whiteface - This is a very good chance just west of Cue. See my web site.

Bourke's Parrot - Fairly common on Nallan Station, and a chance at the CBQT sites.

Orange Chat - A chance south of Payne's Find near the lakes.