birding-aus

Re: mystery bird challenge

Subject: Re: mystery bird challenge
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:30:05 +1100
On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:41:51PM +1100, Andrew Taylor wrote:
> At the link below you'll find 5 photos not-very-attractive
> of a dead bird that I took yesterday:
> http://picasaweb.google.com.au/andrewt.personal/MysteryBird
> I think I've identified the deceased bird, but the location was a big clue.
> If you like a challenge, try to ID it without knowing the location.
> I guess e-mail your ID to me and I'll post the (my) answer to the list
> when someone gets it correct.

Nikolas Haas e-mailed me the correct ID within minutes last night
Followed soon after by Peter Shute.

I'll post the ID tonight but for those who've guessed wrong.  The most
popular ID is Beach Stone-curlew but it isn't a Stone-Curlew.

My  first thought on seeing the bird was Yellow-crowned Night Heron
which would have been a good find in Australia, but it not any type of heron.

Andrew