birding-aus

Another way to view birding-aus

To: Murray Lord <>
Subject: Another way to view birding-aus
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:52:54 +1100
Thanks for all the comments on the possibilities for Birding-Aus. I'm still reading my way through them (I've been away from my computer lately) but thought I should add a few comments.

Firstly, I think the majority of users want to keep the mailing list format, but there are many who would like to see something more.

Secondly, there are several ways of viewing birding-aus messages:

1. Incoming emails, either one at a time or in a digest

2. Searching the archive, or reading messages as they appear there each day (sometimes there is a time lag)

3. On one of the websites "mirroring" the mailing list, such as BirdingOnTheNet, as described by Murray

4. On our Google Group - yes, there is already a Google Group for Birding-Aus! You can read all messages there, and even search the message archive - but note that the messages only go back to about 2006 (the main archive covers a further ten years)

http://groups.google.com/group/birding-aus

At the moment you can't REPLY to a message via the Google Group. Why? Simply because that would make the list unmoderated and unfiltered. I don't want to open up the list to spam and unwanted content, so until I can find a way to moderated Google Groups postings automatically (like the main list) it will remain read-only.

Before the anti-censorship, free-speech brigade cry foul, here is a list off the last 10 messages from an unmoderated Google Group for birders, Aus.birding (I've no idea who started this group):

Twitter software. Automatic twitter tools
The best january stuff 2010 -yo mamma jokes.
Funny girls in bikini)hot and fu)
Is she naked?
Drunk Jessica Alba
New adult video jokes 2010
Video anekdotes about lover
Amazing Angelina
Happy New Year clip
Happy New Year

I think you'll agree that it's worth having filtering and moderation in place!

Thanks again for an engaging debate

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia