birding-aus

Herdsman Lake and Penguin Island, WA

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Herdsman Lake and Penguin Island, WA
From: Nigel Jackett <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:12:21 +0800
Hi everyone,

On Monday (25/1) around noon I spent 2 hours birding the northwestern part
of Herdsman Lake. I encountered 54 species during this time, highlights
being 3 Buff-banded Rails including 1 juvenile, an Australian Spotted Crake,
and a White-winged Triller. There were also a few raptors present including
2 Peregrine Falcons, 3 Swamp Harriers and 2 Whistling Kites.

Yesterday I visited Penguin Island near Rockingham, south of Perth, for the
first time. It was as good as I expected, with hundreds of nesting Bridled
Terns with chicks. We also saw 11 Buff-banded Rails around the visitors
centre/picnic area, 2 Little Penguins huddled together underneath the jetty
(Thanks Frank O'Conner), and 6 Ruddy Turnstones on the western beach.

Full list below.

Cheers,

Nigel Jackett
Scarborough, WA

*Herdsman Lake, 25/01/10*

Musk Duck: 18
Black Swan: 26
Australian Shelduck: 4
Australasian Shoveler: 1
Grey Teal: 65
Pacific Black Duck: 100
Hardhead: 32
Australasian Grebe: 7
Hoary-headed Grebe: 2
Great Crested Grebe: 8
Laughing Dove: 3
Spotted Dove: 2
Australasian Darter: 7
Little Pied Cormorant: 9
Great Cormorant: 49
Little Black Cormorant: 65
Australian Pelican: 14
Eastern Great Egret: 7
White-faced Heron: 1
Little Egret: 1
Australian White Ibis: 33
Straw-necked Ibis: 3
Yellow-billed Spoonbill: 2
Whistling Kite: 2
Swamp Harrier: 3
Peregrine Falcon: 2
Purple Swamphen: 27
Buff-banded Rail: 3
Australian Spotted Crake: 1
Dusky Moorhen: 4
Eurasian Coot: 415
Black-winged Stilt: 6
Black-fronted Dotterel: 2
Silver Gull: 3
Short-billed Black-Cockatoo: 1
Little Corella: 9
Rainbow Bee-eater: 9
Weebill: 1
Western Gerygone: 1
Striated Pardalote: 1
Singing Honeyeater: 6
Red Wattlebird: 2
New Holland Honeyeater: 1
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike: 1
White-winged Triller: 1
Grey Butcherbird: 1
Grey Fantail: 1
Willie Wagtail: 15
Australian Raven: 5
Magpie-lark: 3
Australian Reed-warbler: 1
Silvereye: 8
Welcome Swallow: 5
Tree Martin: 32

*Shoalwater Marine Park--Penguin Island, 26/01/10*

Little Penguin: 2
Australian Pelican: 150
Buff-banded Rail: 11
Ruddy Turnstone: 6