birding-aus

WTNT Gippsland

To: birding-aus <>, Michael Tarburton <>
Subject: WTNT Gippsland
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:30:27 +1100
Hi all,

During a very splendid trip to the Orbost region of Victoria (report to
follow) we - Helen, Barb, Joy and I - came across a large flock of
needletails.

While driving to the Cabbagetree Palms reserve on 24/01 Joy noticed a swift
from the car at 37deg 45m 20s  148deg 39m 52s. When we stopped and got out
we found we were under a loose flock of WTNT that stretched from overhead to
the horizon in the south and across 180deg from west to east. The birds were
working at all heights from just over our heads at maybe 20 or 30 metres to
so high that they were barely visible. There were no Fork-tailed Swifts in
the flock.

We watched them from 1135 to 1145 and estimate we saw between 800 and 1000
birds in all. It was a calm clear morning with no sign of frontal activity,
in fact there was no wind and not a cloud in the sky. A weak front did come
through sometime during the night of the 24th, and the morning of the 25th
had 100% cloud cover with a misty rain but little wind.

This was a truly magnificent sight and totally unexpected on such a clear,
calm day.

One or two WTNT were seen nearby later in the day above Yeerung Gorge but no
sign of another flock.

cheers

Jen