birding-aus

September 2010 Eaglehawk neck Trip - an update

To: birding aus <>, birding aus <>
Subject: September 2010 Eaglehawk neck Trip - an update
From: robert morris <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:05:02 +0000

All

For those of you
who have not had the opportunity to go on a pelagic out of Eaglehawk Neck or
Tasmania - I've compiled some species lists from past trips run by others - let
me know if you'd like a detailed copy (see below for a summary of 6 trips with
the birds
listed alphabetically and the number of times they were recored (out of 6
trips (frequency not abundance)). September can be an excellent month for
albatrosses and southern ocean
species which venture north in the southern winter.

Also whilst no
pelagic trip can be guaranteed, trips out of Eaglehawk Neck in September do
tend to go ahead due to its comparatively sheltered location. This
isn’t always the case for exposed southern coasts. Going to
the shelf will take approximately 90 mins on a licensed vessel. Doing
2 separate trips also offers time for a break in between and eating at a
stationary table and sleeping on a bed which isn't moving!

These back
to back pelagic trips out will take place on the 4th and 5th September 2010.
The trips will be $120 / person / day - i.e. $240 for the weekend (pelagic
trips only). I will be paying the same amount as everyone else on the trip.
i.e. no profit for me, no free trip etc. etc.  The trips will be all
day leaving 7/7.30 to 4-4.30pm and go out beyond the edge of the shelf. If
you’re interested there are only a few places left!! Please let me know and
I'll firm up a group over the next few days.

If the trips
don’t go due to the weather there will be no charge. Let me know if you have
any queries.

Species list:

Antarctic Prion
(2)

Arctic Jaeger(1)

Australasian Gannet
(6)

Black browed
Albatross (6) (races not specified in all cases)

Black-faced
Cormorant (6)

BLUE PETREL (1)

Brown Skua(2)

Buller's
Albatross (5)

Cape Petrel (6)

Common Diving
Petrel (5)

Crested Tern (6)

Fairy Prion (6)

Great-winged Petrel
(6)

GREY PETREL (2)

Grey-backed
Storm-Petrel (6)

GREY-HEADED ALBATROSS
(1)

Kelp Gull (6)

Little Penguin (3)

Little Pied
Cormorant (1)

Northern Giant
Petrel (6)

Northern Royal
Albatross (5)

Pacific Gull (6)

PROVIDENCE PETREL (2)

Short-tailed Shearwater (6)Shy Albatross (6)Silver Gull (6)Slender-billed Prion
(2)SOFT-PLUMAGED PETREL (1)Sooty Shearwater (6)SOUTHERN FULMAR (3)Southern
Giant-Petrel (4)Southern Royal
Albatross (5)Wandering Albatross (races / species not specified in all cases)
(6)              White-chinned Petrel (5)

White-fronted Tern (2)WHITE-HEADED PETREL (3)Wilson's Storm-Petrel
(2)Yellow-nosed Albatross (6) Rob Morris