birding-aus

Satin Flycatchers in SEQ

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Satin Flycatchers in SEQ
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:53:16 +1000
Hi all,

On the topic of Satin Flycatchers in SEQ, Rod Hobson has just reported one
from last week at Kippa-Ring near Redcliffe in the north of Brisbane.  I'm
going looking for it tomorrow, but if anyone else makes it out there and
finds the bird please let me know.  There is also meant to be a Frilled
Lizard (or Frill-necked Lizard) on the site and Rod would like to know if it
turns up again.  I've appended Rod's post from the Toowoomba Bird Observers
forum.  As Peter pointed out earlier this is a mega-rare bird in SEQ so try
and get photos if you think you've found the bird.

Regards,
Chris
http://www.bird-o.com/

"Folks,

On Wednesday, 13th January I spent a very interesting morning in a new area
of native bushland for me; at Chelsea Road Reserve, Kippa-Ring near
Redcliffe SEQ. I was accompanied by Steve Wilson from the Queensland Museum
and fellow QPWS employee Rob Ashdown. The birdlife here was prolific, as
were the mosquitoes. The highlight of our day was good clear views of a
Satin Flycatcher in she-oaks abutting the samphire flats on the eastern edge
of the reserve.

I'm going back again soon and taking a telescope for the waders this time.
The creek line there is a wonderful place, especially with its abundant
population of Orange-clawed Fiddler Crabs (Uca coarctata) on the exposed mud
and Satin Azure Butterflies (Ogyris amaryllis hewitsoni) in the fringing
mangroves. What a magical place but "don't forget the Aerogard".

Regards,
Rod Hobson"