birding-aus

Barbary Dove

Subject: Barbary Dove
From: Katrina Knight <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:39:15 -0500
At 05:19 PM 01/21/2010 michael wood wrote:
John Tongue is right. They are two quite different birds, one established in and around Perth, WA (Laughing Dove), and the other that is infiltrating locations in south-eastern Australia (Barbary Dove or African Collared Dove). I've become quite familiar with both, the latter in the northern suburbs of Adelaide. And their calls are quite different, so there shouldn't really be any confusion there.

I did some research into doves with collars a while back when I wanted to identify a bird that showed up in my mother's yard. There seems to be a lot of confusion about these birds, partly because they have multiple names and partly because Barbary Doves are probably not really a good separate species.

Barbary Doves are known as Streptopelia risoria. They're also called Ringed Turtle-Doves or Ringed Doves. They're generally regarded as a domestic form of the Streptopelia senegalensis, which is commonly called African Collared-Dove, Laughing Turtle-Dove or Laughing Dove depending on who is doing the calling. Typically, Barbary Doves look like a much paler version of the African Collared-Dove/Laughing Dove. In some places, Barbary Doves are reputed to look more like a paler version of Eurasian Collared-Doves, and there may or may not be some hybridization going on where they meet. (I can't tell from the information in Pizzey & Knight whether the Barbary Doves established in Australia are a form with more Eurasian Collared-Dove genes in them. If they are, that complicates the issue.) Eurasian Collared-Doves are Streptopeleia decaocto. The appearance of all three can be similar if you're not familiar with them. I've seen numerous Eurasian Collared-Doves but only one Barbary/African Collared-Dove. (The one that I saw looked like the wild version, but given that it was visiting my mother's back yard in the eastern US, I think it is safe to say that it actually was a domestic escapee.) The differences become more obvious if you're familiar with at least one of them. There's some simple information about separating Eurasian Collared-Doves from Barbary Doves here <http://www.birdsource.org/Features/EUCDOV/>.

Eurasian Collared-Doves sound very different from typical Barbary Doves. Sound is generally considered the easier way to tell them apart if there's a chance of both being there. If you're dealing with Barbary Doves that have Eurasian Collared-Dove ancestors, I'm not sure what sounds they'd make though. I would expect that enough Eurasian-collared Dove ancestry could result in Barbary Doves that sound more like Eurasian Collared-Doves as well as well as looking more like them.

In any case, there's a recording of a Barbary Dove here <http://drc01.drc.ohiolink.edu/handle/2374.OX/55686?show=full> and a video with sound of two of them here <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXEgl2B9Pc>. There are links to several clips of Eurasian Collared-Doves here <http://www.junglewalk.com/sound/dove-sounds.htm>.

--
Katrina Knight

Reading, PA, USA