birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 01:31:09 +1000
Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 17 Jan 2010.

Sun 17 Jan      Spotted Harrier, Banded Lapwing Lake Tyrell
Highlights of a very, very windy visit to Lake Tyrell. Harrier
quartering over stubble fields beside the lake
Tim Bawden

Sat 16 Jan      White-throated Needletail Bunyip State Park
12-15 seen over Link Rd, Bunyip SP, between 10-11am. First I've seen
this season in the Greater Melbourne Region. Also there 2 Olive
Whistler, Southern Emu-wren, Blue-winged Parrot, etc.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

        Pectoral Sandpiper (2), Australasian Darter, Black Falcon
Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Pectoral Sandpiper: 1 - Lagoon immediately after Beach Road gate, 1 -
Walshes Lagoon. Australasian Darter: Flew across Little River towards
Lake Borrie. Black Falcon: Over Beach Road.
Paul Dodd, Bill Moorhead, Jack Moorhead & Karen Blake

Fri 15 Jan      White-throated Needletails, Scarlet Honeyeaters,
Square-tailed Kite Cabbage Tree Palms Reserve
Notable sightings from the monthly survey within the CTPR included 45+
White-throated Needletails, 27 Scarlet Honeyeaters ( feeding on
flowering E. Botyroides ), 9 Black-faced Monarchs, 2 Red-browed
Treecreepers and a Square-tailed Kite. A juvenile platypus lazily
feeding in the pool directly below the creek crossing capped off a
pleasant morning's walk through this site.
Len Axen

        Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, Black Honeyeater Bailieston Quarry
Inspired by the book Where to See Birds in Victoria, I stopped at the
quarry at Bailieston and was inundated with birds for 15 minutes
(10:30am). The surprise was the Chestnut-rumped Heathwren (2) appearing
only a few metres away, followed almost immediately by Black Honeyeater
(1) and Diamond Firetail (2).
Iian Denham

        Long-toed Stint Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
One Long-toed Stint at the Western Conservation Lagoons. Other birds of
interest were one Golden Plover at Borrow Pits and a total of 65 Cape
Barren Geese throughout the treatment plant. One Wood Sandpiper sighted
where previously reported. High numbers (51) of Banded Lapwing at Beach
Road.
Maarten Hulzebosch

        Whiskered Tern Lake Hamilton beach, Hamilton, Victoria
raising young, possible nested on sit?
Samantha Greiner

        Cape Barren Goose Ballarat to Clunes Road
Six cape barren geese were in a paddock close to the main road leading
from Ballarat to Clunes. They were approximately 15 kms from Ballarat.
Gary Oliver

Thu 14 Jan      Red-capped Robin Waterholes
One subadult male observed at Waterholes Guest House, approx 25 km N of
Bairnsdale. An uncommon visitor to East Gippsland, and a first record
for this locality. Attached photo by Diane Pearson (visiting UK birder).
Other notable observations include: Cicadabird (male calling),
Horsefield's Bronze Cuckoo, Scarlet Honeyeaters.
Chris Healey, Max Markey, Diane Pearson, Mike Pearson (per Chris Healey)
Baillon's Crake Macleod Morass, near Bairnsdale
Was trying yet again to spot a Reed-warbler at this site (I can hear
them but haven't seen one) when the crake walked out onto some bent
reeds. It was there for about a minute before going back into the reeds.
Can't find it on the EGBOC list so I assume it's not a common bird in
the area. The Reed-warbler still eludes me...
Aileen Collyer

Wed 13 Jan      Spotted Nightjar Roadside west of Boort
A Nightjar , presumably Spotted, glided across the road about 20 kms
west of Boort as I drove home around dusk. This roadside has mallee
vegetation only around 20 metres wide, with no bushland areas nearby.
There was an irrigation channel nearby also.
Simon Starr

        Cattle egret Banyule wetlands
In resplendent breeding plumage, but all alone in a swamp ... life ain't
easy. Lots of Aust. grebe families too, pair of nankeen night-herons.
Peter Bennet

Tue 12 Jan      Turquoise Parrot and Buff-banded Rail Bunyip State Park
On Tuesday morning we recorded breeding Turquoise Parrots (adult male
feeding young fledgling) and a Buff-banded rail.
Bruce Quinn, Mike Harrison and Clint Schipper

        Laughing Kookaburra Suburban Garden, Kew, nr. Boroondara
Cemetery
Stayed on a low branch observing the garden - perhaps checking out a
huge pile of timber from a demolition for snakes. First Kookaburra in
our garden in our 35 years. They would also be the first snakes.
Remained for approximately 10 minutes.
Vivian Campbell

        Little Lorikeet Fairhope (12 km N of Bairnsdale)
3 Little Lorikeets in flowering Gippsland Grey Gum by Nicholson River.
First record for locality in the 6.5 years we have been here.
Chris & Felicity Healey

        Beautful Firetail, Southern Emu-wren, Brush Bronzewing,
Blue-winged Parrot, Striated Fieldwren Cape Liptrap Coastal Park
Beautful Firetail, Southern Emu-wren, Brush Bronzewing, Blue-winged
Parrot, Striated Fieldwren - all seen within an hour in coastal Heath at
Cape Liptrap
Greg Oakley

        Painted Button-quail, Scarlet Honeyeater Bald Hills Wetland
Reserve
Pair of Painted Button-quail flushed on the track to the hide at Bald
Hills Wetland Reserve near Tarwin Lower. Also a single Scarlet
Honeyeater.
Greg Oakley

        Collared Sparrowhawk Yarraville Gardens (and Banyule Flats)
Cycled through Yarraville Gardens on the way to work this morning and
didn't see or hear any signs of the Collared Sparrowhawks. Last saw them
on Wednesday last week when they were being harrassed by a small flock
of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos. Also stopped in at Banyule Flats on
Saturday night (9th) to see if the Owlet Nightjar was still present. It
appears to have moved on, probably due to a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets
(with young) nesting in a hole directly behind where the bird was
roosting. Family of frogmouths (mother and three young) were still
present in the patch of trees adjacent to the car park.
Stephen Kaye

Mon 11 Jan      Pale-headed Rosella 3 Olivetree Close Werribee
In a tree at the front of our house. [Moderator's Note: presumably an
escape]
Kevin Maddigan

        Grey Goshawk Bellarine Hwy between Geelong and Ocean Grove
The bird flew fast across the Hwy and then perched on a powerpole. I was
able to observe the bird for around 30 seconds before it flew away.
Joe Park

        Southern Whiteface 5km N of Axedale.
A single whiteface at the birdbath this afternoon. First one seen for
this area. I have seen a small population 4km further north about 18
months ago.
Marlene Lyell

        Common Tern (70) Seaholme Beach, City of Hobsons Bay.
There were 70 Common Tern on rocks offshore from Seaholme this morning,
a very high number for around here.
Steve Davidson

Sat 9 Jan       Fairy Tern-juvenile, Spotles Crake, Buff-banded Rail,
Wood Sandpiper etc. Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Found a just fledged juvenile Fairy Tern in pond next to coast just NE
of Beach Rd gate. Also 28 White-winged Black Terns on same pond. 3
brownish juvenile Whiskered Terns at T-Section Lagoons also. Plenty of
Common Terns around. Went to check out Spotless Crakes (thanks to Mark &
David for the tipoff) on Little River reed bed. Saw 2 adults with 2 tiny
black fluffy chicks there & 2 Buff-banded Rails also. Wood Sandpiper
present at pond reported in previous sightings. Little Egret in breeding
plumage on same pond. Pair of Zebra Finches on road between Austin Rd &
T-Section Lagoon. Bushlark on Beach Rd about 100 m from Wilson Rd. 95
species recorded.
Kevin Bartram

Fri 8 Jan       Latham's Snipe Howe Flat Track, Mallacoota
A single bird flushed near junction of Howe Flat Walking Track. Probably
same bird seen same area on 4/1/10 but not positively identified. Both
times bird was in low tussocky vegetation beside the track in fairly dry
Angophora forest - nearest water Howe Creek at least 100m away and not
visible.
Janine Duffy

Thu 7 Jan       Jacky Winter x 2 Strathewen
Observed on private property on O'deas Rd near the Bowden-spur Rd corner
over a few days in the same location. I'd forgotten to report it
earlier. white under-sides, grey upper body, tail wagging side-ways.
Greg Cobern

Sun 3 Jan       Regent Honeyeater Mitchell River Silt Jetties - East
Gippsland
3 - Two Adults and One dependent but fledged chick. Observed again on
Sat 9th about 300M East of original sighting on northern bank of
Mitchell R.
Don Ripper

Wed 23 Dec      Emu Grampians
Saw 1 adult Emu with 5 semi-grown chicks near the camping ground in
Halls Gap. Then another 4 adult birds at the Dunkeld end of the
Grampians.
Shane Xavier Shalless

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/victoria.html>  and
co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .