birding-aus

Grey/Pied Currawong - Canberra

To: Frank Antram <>
Subject: Grey/Pied Currawong - Canberra
From: Tun Pin Ong <>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:29:56 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

Thanks Frank for the confirmation. I have also checked with other photos of
Grey Currawang, particularly those taken in Canberra and nearby Goulburn and
found that their overall greyer plumage and tapered bill are quite distinct
enough without having to look hard at the pattern near the rump.

The bird could be a subadult or in some sort of moult. But it was independent
enough to dig out a finger-sized fat grub. (photo now uploaded in same link,
anybody know what larva is that?).

The point I like a bring out is that all the field guides and illustrations I
know so far always portray Pied as having white crescent at base of tail,
although getting narrower towards S and W in its range. In this Canberran
individuals, the complete absence of white crescent.

On the other hand, keen to know how it is compared to the little known ashbyi
form which is confined to SW of Victoria.

Although the rump area and white-tipped primaries are some typical features of
Grey Currawang, the overall structure are still not strong enough to suggest
them as Grey.

Photos of the Currawong and its deserted meal is found in following link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tunpin/tags/currawong/

Best regards,
Tun Pin ONG