birding-aus

Information Required.

To: Roy <>, "" <>
Subject: Information Required.
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 21:51:23 +1100
There's a review of that CD at http://www.thebirdingshop.com/review.htm, about
2/3 of the way down the page.  I haven't seen it, but possibly the most useful
thing on it is the bird calls, given that the illustrations seem to come from
the book you already have.  There are other bird call collections around,
including some regional CDs and the BOCA set of 10 CDs.  I'm not sure how these
compare, I have the BOCA set and it seems pretty good.

There are quite a few expert reviews of other books on that page.

I've seen the first 4 DVD's listed here and they seem useful to me:
http://www.johnyoungwildlife.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=1
I'm not sure what else is out there.

I would suggest you look at some of the other field guides (Pizzey and Kinght,
Morcombe, Slater and Slater) to supplement yours, but if you're interested in
the habits, etc, of birds rather than just identifying them, then perhaps not.
I think the large version of Morcombe's field guide includes nest details, and
I think I've seen a guide just for nests.  Might have been this one:
http://shop.nla.gov.au/product_info.php?products_id=1025

If you're prepared to buy reference books rather than disks, well, where do you
start?  Don't forget that both Birds Australia and BOCA, if you're members,
have good libraries and if you're travelling you can post them back.  Some
public libraries have copies of HANZAB and other reference books.

Peter Shute