birding-aus

Re: White-throated Needletails @ Warriewood

To: <>
Subject: Re: White-throated Needletails @ Warriewood
From: "Mark and Mandy Young" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:15:24 +1100
G'day,

Today I saw a massive flock of White-throated Needletails massing at
Warriewood. I estimate the flock size to be over 350, and closer to 450
birds.

In the following links there are 2 photos of the flock. There are 295 birds
in this photo, the second link I've put coloured dots next to each bird.
Each colour represents 50 birds, except for the maroon colour in the bottom
left hand side which is 45 birds. The remaining birds not in this photo
would be about half again the amount, hence how I arrived at the flock size
estimation.

One thing I noticed with this flock is that they were very low over the tree
line. At one point a single bird flew down to about 2 metres above ground
and within 20m of where I was standing. It gave me a fantastic view of it as
it wizzed past.

Link 1: 295 WTNT's: http://bit.ly/7LFipQ

Link 2: Birds in groups of 50: http://bit.ly/8MNBBA

Hope this is of use to whoever is after the WTNT numbers.

Regards,

Mark