birding-aus

gouldian finch and nesting tawny frogmouth

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: gouldian finch and nesting tawny frogmouth
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:16:06 +1030
Hi

Heading out for my jog this morning and had to turn back for the binoc\ulars as
50 metres from the house here at Djarindjin on Dampier Peninsula near Broome,
were Gouldian Finches.   Approx. 5 only.  Two black faced and one red
faced-yellow,  blue and face make a striking picture amongst the grass that has
sprung up since that rain we had a few weeks back.  Many long taile finches and
peaceful doves feeding there as well.

In the local paper the kimberley land council is saying they are going to do
something about the fire on Dampier Peninsula as part of protecting
biodiveristy and reducing greenhouse gases.   I hope they can.   Excessive fire
is a real problem here.   The local Aboriginal people I have spoken to have all
said that there  is too much burning and that when they were young flocks of 70
Gouldian Finches were common.

In the 8 months I have been on the peninsula this is only my second sighting.

I pride myself on spotting tawny frogmouths(which is silly as the ones you
miss, you don't know you have missed!)  Just to highlight this point outside my
flat in Broome I saw an old man pointing out something to presumably his
grandchildren in tree.   When I drove in next day and looked up I saw a tawny
frogmouth on a nest!

Gary