birding-aus

Birds of Pumicestone Passage photo gallery

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Birds of Pumicestone Passage photo gallery
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:15:39 +1000
I live in the best birding/bird-photography region in Australia. There, that's
lit the fuse.

Anyway, the bit where I live in that region is near the Pumicestone Passage, a waterway between the mainland and Bribie Island in the south-east corner of Queensland, Australia. This waterway is part of the very significant Moreton Bay RAMSAR site and is a prime location for a good variety of shorebirds and waterbirds.
It may also have more Osprey per square kilometre than any other part of
Australia.
As for Striated Herons.........boring...............
And I am a bit maxed-out on Spotless Crakes, Buff-banded Rails, Latham's Snipe, Lewin's Rails, Marsh Sandpipers, Broad-billed Sandpipers and Black-tailed Godwits.

Actually, to tell you the truth, I'm not all that interested in watching birds but I am interested in photographing them. To that end, I am indulging in a 'never-ending story' project in my *spare* time which is an attempt to photograph all of the bird species I see in the Pumicestone Passage area.

The progress of this project is now on display in the latest gallery I have created on my SmugMug site.
To see what I have done so far go to:
http://ptiloris.smugmug.com/
on the home page click on "Birding Locations" (or the thumbnail photo of the
Hall's Babbler);
then click on "Birds of Pumicestone Passage" (or the Aussie Grebe photo);
navigate through the gallery.
If you need an explanation on how to use the site (e.g., how to view the photos) click on "Contact SmugMug" at the bottom of the page. It is fairly self-explanatory but I have yet to find a web-site which is totally intuitive to everyone. Some web-sites are like a form of mental torture. If you have trouble seeing the photos at all it may be a problem with your web-browser (some of the heavily touted 'alternate' browsers are often not as good as they are claimed to be) contact SmugMug and ask for help.

The gallery is not complete and probably will never be but it should give birders a good idea of what can be seen in the area and when.
Currently there are some gaps but I have a few more species to add when I find
the *spare* time.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld
Australia