birding-aus

WA Sightings

To: <>, <>
Subject: WA Sightings
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 18:20:29 +1100
Dave,
I have avoided entering this debate but I think you are possibly missing one
important database which comes down to how data is used. The various online
options you mention (Birding-Aus, Birdlines, etc.) might get some of the
rarities but some don't make it until long afterwards or not at all (and the
BARC deals officially with any it receives).

The Birds Australia Atlas is one site for inclusion of records but various of
the State (and the Federal) governments have databases for storing of records.
This is particularly important for Threatened Species legislation. In NSW where
I am based DECCW has the Atlas of NSW Wildlife and when development
applications come in the first source for searching for TS records is this
database - other sources are often (mostly?) used but the minimum that I would
expect is the DECCW Threatened Website and the NSW Atlas. Therefore if you want
records to be useful in the process of government then you will need to submit
to the relevant government authority (if one exists). Data in this database is
also used for many other processes, including determination of offset
conditions, native vegetation approvals, park management and of course
targeting recovery actions.

Governments will always have database (except the ACT which I think uses the
COG bird database) because threatened species other than birds (including
plants, mammals, invertebrates, etc). Ideally there would be agreements between
Birds Australia (and other organisations that have records) and the governments
to exchange data (I think something like this exists in Victoria) but having
been involved in this in the past, this can be very difficult to organise (data
these days can be used as a income stream). I would be surprised if the Lesser
Yellowlegs (as an example) has within the DECCW Atlas, but as a vagrant it is
of limited use for conservation planning (similarly I think there is one record
of the American Golden Plover from Boat Harbour). Records of Painted Snipe
(such as the recent Dubbo record) should be added as these would be used in
planning decisions.

I think the other databases have their place (though the continued
proliferation frustrates me endlessly) but I would say that if you want to see
your records used in making conservation decisions involving government, in NSW
at least, records need to be contributed to the Atlas of NSW Wildlife.

Just my two cents worth (which has been spent a number of times).
Cheers,
Peter