birding-aus

A new year

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: A new year
From: "Vader Willem Jan Marinus" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 10:41:22 +0100
A happy, healthy and harmonious 2010 to all of you! When I wrote this, it
is mid-mornong in Tromsø, and at 10. 30 am there is as yet practically no
daylight, because today, after weeks of dry, cold and clear weather, it is
snowing, and probably will do so for the rest of the weekend. The
temperature has risen to -6*C; these last weeks it was usually 4-7 degrees
colder, and we have only a little snow on the ground, maybe 8 inches

This winter there are incredibly few birds around here in town (A birding
friend who lives in the countryside reports many brds on his feeders). But
mine stand empty, and on 2 January my 2010 year list boosts all of 2
Hooded Crows, and absolutely nothing else. A lot of 'scope for growth'
therefore; but the sun won't return until three weeks from  now, so
conditions for birding at 70ÆN are far from ideal this time a year.

Wim Vader, Tromsø Museum

9037 Tromsø, Norway