birding-aus

Re: field guides - Brasil

To: Bob & Trish Sothman <>, "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Re: field guides - Brasil
From: Helen Larson <>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 07:23:43 +0000 (GMT)
Just back from Christmas break and catching up with emails. Yes, maybe we are
spoilt with field guidebooks - but our expectations have increased with more
people travelling, documenting and photographing birds world-wide. Most of the
Neotropical bird books I have are not in the 'field guide' category as they are
fairly big and heavy (I lugged Hilty and Brown's "Birds of Colombia" around
Ecuador during my only other foray into South America, and was glad I did).
But when a book is touted as a wonderful field guide, as van Perlo's was  -
then I expect it to be one, especially as I had never visited Brazil before and
was birding without a human bird guide to help (it was mainly a work trip).
So yes, it is a good step forward, and I was very glad to have such a book with
me.
Helen