birding-aus

Re:field guides - Brasil

To: "Helen Larson" <>, "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re:field guides - Brasil
From: "Bob & Trish Sothman" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:58:43 +1030
Helen,
A few comments on your posting please.....
By way of background, I have been to Brasil 53 times for work over the last 27
years, ie I have birded in Brasil over a relatively long period - great birds.
In the "early days" there were no "real" Brasil fieldguides, then along came
Deodato Sousa with "All the birds of Brasil - an identification guide" - a step
forward which improved significantly over the three editions but unfortunately
the illustration were poor in all three. The latest is the Ber van Perlo
Brazilian field guide which, in my opinion, is a major step forward.
I think we have been spoilt with such good fieldguides for Australia, USA,
Europe, etc.
Bob Sothman
Adelaide