birding-aus

The perfect phone for a birder?

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: The perfect phone for a birder?
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 19:31:46 +1100
I have a Blackberry Bold, supplied by my employer. The GPS will give me
coordinates anywhere, but I don't think I can get maps that will work out of
coverage. I use Google Maps when there's coverage.

I have all 10 BOCA CDs loaded, and it could fit them several times over, with
the additional memory card I added. It's very easy to locate tracks on this
model, I only have to type part of the name in.  I'm pretty happy with this
part of the phone.

I've found free software to record GPS tracks (not that great) and record to
MP3 format, but haven't worked out how to add an external microphone yet. The
internal one isn't much good for faint bird calls.  This phone at least has a
3.5mm jack. The previous one was a 2.5mm jack, which limits things a bit. I
suspect I'd have to build my own connection cable, because it has a 4 contact
socket, intended for stereo headphones with built in headset mic and mute
button.

I'm with Telstra, which I'm told has the best coverage, but I don't know how
true that is. It certainly won't work everywhere.

Software for Blackberries is limited, I believe because the manufacturers are
keen to prevent the phones being hacked, so they don't help developers as much
as others do. I'm guessing an iPhone will probably be what you want, I'll leave
it to others to demonstrate they can do everything you want.

A dedicated GPS might be safer. I feel a bit silly running the batteries down
running the GPS when I might need to make an call for help.  I guess the same
would go for the recording if I got it going.  Carrying a spare battery might
be a smart way around that.

Peter Shute

Sent using BlackBerry