birding-aus

frigate birds and boobys broome

To: birding aus <>
Subject: frigate birds and boobys broome
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:13:26 +1030
Well, I went and had a look down the port and there were 3 frigate birds and
about 20 boobies!  However, lesser frigate birds and brown boobies.   There
were a large number of terns dropping into the water, some little terns,
crested terns (flying through) and what I eventually worked out to be common
terns.

Terns are my bogy birds in terms of ID.  I eventually got these as commons
when I found some roosting on a more secluded beach.  There I could see
blackish shoulder bar and black cap extending forward through eye.    At
first I was really confused if they were whiskered tern or common tern.
Then I saw about the habitat, which got me thinking more about common tern
and then I got some roosting and could see field marks.   In flight I found
it very hard to see field marks.   The highly forked tail should have been a
clue?  It was difficult to judge size as there was only the little terns to
compare, which are so small.

However I went from there to Woolies oval and when I saw the whiskered terns
there they seemed much smaller.

So, I think a small step in working out the terns-give me waders anyday, as
at least they stand still and you can get a scope on them, instead of terns
flying past or bouncing around like corks.

Gary