birding-aus

Good Rail day northern NSW (possible Bush-hen?)

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Good Rail day northern NSW (possible Bush-hen?)
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:45:59 +1100
Hi all,
I am visiting my parents at Crystal Creek (near Murwillumbah) in northern NSW
and following about 28mm of rain yesterday afternoon and last night (and more
rain today) have had a good day for rails.
First was a Buff-breasted Rail seen on the road about 1km from my parents house.
We then visited West Byron Sewage Works and saw another Buff-banded Rail, at
least two Baillon's and 1 Spotless Crake (there were possibly more but heavy
rain restricted our return to view potential others). Also present were lots of
Purple Swamphens and Dusky Morrhens (plus lots of other birds).

Returning home I went down the creek and flushed a single rail (smaller in size
than a Moorhen) from long grass near the bank - The view was brief, but legs
were orangish and undertail and belly were unmarked and brownish). The head and
front half were not observed. The bird called briefly when it landed (in very
dense thick grass) and I could not find it again. I suspect this bird was a
Bush-hen, which is a bird irregularly seen around the Tweed Valley but not a
bird I have seen (or heard at Mum and Dad's - though the habitat is perfect).
Any other suggestions would be appreciated (the field guides have very little
info on flight views and I don't have access to HANZAB here), but at this stage
I will try and go down tonight and see if any calling occurs.

Otherwise having agreat trip and seeing more birds than I ever expected.
Cheers,
Peter