birding-aus

Ruff at Sydney Olympic Park

To: "'Frank Antram'" <>
Subject: Ruff at Sydney Olympic Park
From: "Jon Irvine" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:42:45 +1100
Hi Frank,

I have been keeping an eye on the Waterbird Refuge at SOP and there has been
no sign of the Ruff since Stephen reported them. I've also looked at Mason
Park a few times but have not seen them there either.

The Waterbird Refuge is the rectangular area of impounded water that is
bounded by Bennelong Road on the western side, Powells Creek on the eastern
side and Homebush Bay on the Northern side. It is at the northern end of
Bicentennial Park accessed by car by parking along Bennelong Road next to
the Waterfront apartments and walking back over Haslams Creek to the
northern entrance on the eastern side of the road or by walking along the
Badu Mangroves path from the south. By train it is accessible by walking
from Concord West station along Victoria Avenue and turning north (right)
once you have walked over the creek footbridge. You then follow the path
north for 1km through the mangroves until you reach the Waterbird Refuge on
the left hand side and Homebush Bay straight ahead.

Bar-tailed godwits, Avocets and Stilts should be at the refuge. If you look
out into Homebush Bay from the northern end of the refuge there are usually
Sharp-tailed and Curlew Sandpipers feeding at Rhodes (in front of the
shopping centre) to the east at low tide. Mason Park (south of Bicentennial
Park) has Sharp-tailed and Curlew Sandpipers as well as Golden Plovers at
high tide.

Good luck,

Jono