birding-aus

Backyard bird feeders driving avian evolution

To: "'Michael Tarburton'" <>
Subject: Backyard bird feeders driving avian evolution
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:44:16 +1100
Mike,

Some points:

Charles Darwin knew nothing about the mechanism of genetics, beyond that
characters are inherited from parents and that there is a source of
variation that is inherited. We know a lot more now, so it doesn't help
to quote Darwin too closely in this exercise best to look at the more
recent evidence. Darwin developed the ideas and documented the support
by collecting a lot of evidence but he did not know how the mutation
system works.

I hope I'm right to advise that we don't have any evidence whatever that
mutations are "almost always" disadvantageous. That is just a common
assumption based on what evidence I don't know and I suspect impossible
to test. There is no reason to suspect that mutations are "almost
always" disadvantageous. We have no idea how beneficial or not whatever
proportion of mutations are. It may well be possible that mutations are
"almost always" advantageous. Although that is an equally vague and
probably more unlikely description. In many cases a change to a gene
(i.e. a mutation, which is a change to the sequence of nucleotides along
the DVA strand) may have no impact. We know that by virtue of the way
that the three nucleotides code to one amino acid system works, some
changes to DNA do not alter the protein at all (as the different set of
3 bases may code for the same amino acid). Some DNA changes make small
changes to the protein. Some result in total collapse of that protein's
function. If that happens the impact on the organism may be great or
minor it depends entirely on what the function of that protein is and
the result is totally random. Sometimes it can simply mean that the
particular gene does not function, which allows another gene to function
in a different way. And then there are all the variations created by
sexual reproduction and you get increased rate of mixing of
combinations.

You ask: So can you come up with an example of an "occasional
advantageous genetic mutation"? Well yes, the entire existence of life
and all the variation in the animals, plants, fungi, bacteria, etc is
the example that I think answers that question. Except that would appear
to be something more than occasional! There is after all, no other
detailed and developed suggestion that is consistent with and sensibly
explains the existence and variety of life.

Philip