birding-aus

Black and Pied Honeyeaters in SW NSW and NW Victoria

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Black and Pied Honeyeaters in SW NSW and NW Victoria
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:11:27 +1100
Finally tracked down my first Black Honeyeaters for the year on Friday when I
had a job near Balranald. This year appears to have been a good year for this
species as well as Pieds in the area either side of the river at Mildura (and
further south and east as well). There have been numerous records on Eremaea in
various areas around Victoria, but these are some additional ones that I am
aware of as well:
2 male Pieds at the John Hobbs Memorial Eremophila Patch (near Dareton) sw NSW
in mid October feeding in Eremophila maculata (which was just about finsihed
flowering) (by me). Other good birds at the same time were Rufous Songlark,
Hooded Robin and Crimson Chat nearby.A number of Blacks (for a couple of weeks)
and at least 2 Pieds feeding in planted E. maculata in a graden at Irymple in
mid to late October (reported by a work colleague).15-20 Pieds (mainly
males)feeding in a large patch of E. maculata under Black Box on private
property to the south east of Mungo NP. They were the dominant honeyeater with
only about 3 White-fronted and 1 Spiny-cheeked also present. 5 were seen
drinking at a dam a few kilometres to the south which may have been part of the
smae group (this was mid November seen by me).I was told last week that there
were Pieds and Blacks (with more of the former) at the DSE/Parks
Victoria/Mallee CMA office in Irymple. Not certain what they were feeding in
(possibly WA Eremophilas) but this is also a very good site for White-fronted
as there seems to be lots of 'natives' with a wide flowering season.At least 4
male and 1 female Black seen in E. longifolia about 15km south of Balranald
(just south of the Moulamein turnoff) last Friday. This is the first patch of
Emu-bush that I have stopped in that still had flowers in reasonable condition.
Also present were 1 White-fronted and Spiny-cheeked HE plus Yellow-throated
Miners.Other interesting sightings in SW NSW include 3 Ground Cuckoo-shrikes on
the Turlee-Arumpo road and 2 Glossy Ibis on a dam on Crown Land to the south of
Mungo NP. During the hot weather of a couple of weeks ago the following raptors
were seen to drink at various farm dams - Collared Sparrowhawk, Little Eagle,
Spotted Harrier, Nankeen Kestrel. Wedge-tailed Eagles were also seen on the
ground near water but not observed to drink.
Cheers,
Peter