birding-aus

14 day John Young trip

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: 14 day John Young trip
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 22:00:15 +1100
Posting this on behalf of Biggles. (Actually I second this as I did the same
tour a few years back!)

I have just been to on John Young's 14 day trip to Iron Range after a few
species I was after.
 John was a excellent guide and knows his stuff and bird calls and is a real
character to be out with.
I was able to get 7 new species, the highlight being seeing 3 Buff-breasted
Button-Quails.
Unfortunately we failed to get the Red-bellied Pitta in Iron Range or the
Spotted Whistling Duck at Chilli Beach as there had been no rain for some
time. The rainforest was under real stress and thank God that no idiot
dropped a match as it would burn with the amount of dry litter about.
It was great to see 50+ Golden-shouldered Parrots as well, and thanks to the
property owner Sue Shepherd for escorting us to the site.
I was able to get 3 of my 7 on Mt Lewis, but no sign of any Golden
Bowerbirds worst luck
256 species were recorded form the trip.
Special thanks to OZ Tours and there driver, Geoff Harris for getting us to
all the spots and especially the Hostess and caterer, Petra Kennedy for all
the excellent meals and plenty of them
 I recommend to tour to others and well costed.
 There was 11 birders including me on the tour.
   Narrelle Fillbrook. (Sydney)
    Judith Giles (Brisbane)
   Alex Ferguson (Brisbane) Ruth Paul (Yaanbeel) Rhona Eastment(Cooya
Beach Lesley
Games (Bridie Is.) John&Lynn Kelly (Brisbane) Peter Hobbs (USA) Adrian
Hayward (UK/Germany)
Cheers Biggles
DARRYEL BINNS;
DARWIN