birding-aus

Re-classifying the Australian Ringneck parrot, the Mallee Ringneck etc

Subject: Re-classifying the Australian Ringneck parrot, the Mallee Ringneck etc
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 01:33:57 -0800
Hi Folks:

I was wondering if any of my Australian mates know of any plans to change,
lump, or split the Australian Ringneck family.  I was sorting throuh some
footage today and discovered unwittingly I have 3 different plumage
types/subspecies on film.  Mallee ringneck shot at Bowra, The more common
color type with the lemon yellow breast shot at Alice Springs, and the huge
subspecies with green breast and red band above the cere shot at Gloucester
National Park near Pemberton, WA.  Visually Mallee Ringneck looks very
different than the others but I am sure that scientists decide many things
as they look at this group of birds to decide on species characteristics.
Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks as always for such a terrific site

Don Kimball

www.polytelismedia.wordpress.com