birding-aus

more bird ids needed

To: <>
Subject: more bird ids needed
From: Kim Gillen <>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:50:06 +1100
Hi all,

At the beginning of November we went to Krambach for a couple of weeks.  I was
on my own for a few days - so I did some serious birding (as didn't have in tow
a husband who doesn't understand my obession!!) however I took that many photos
that it has taken me quite a while to get them in order!

Among all the usual suspects, we had a few springtime visitors such as a
White-throated Gerygone, Olive backed Oriole busily building its nest, a pair
of Satin Bowerbirds, Scarlet honeyeaters, brown-headed honeyeaters, some noisy
Dollar birds and Common Koels.  Also swa ones that I don't often see such as
both the Golden and Rufous Whistlers who were nest building, red backed fairy
wrens, a sacred kingfisher, a little black cormorant who flew into our dam, and
a large family group of King Parrots.

Ones that were first time sightings for me were Varigated Fairy-wrens, a Rufous
fantail, a flock of  Scaly-breasted Lorikeets and Musk Lorikeets who were
together with Rainbow Lorikeets in a flowering gum tree, Black-faced Monarchs
building a nest and a group of Grey-crowned Babblers.
m("N02/sets/72157622764529569/","//www.flickr.com/photos/43736762");">http:

Also saw quite a few snakes this time - which is unusual and not something I am
all that  pleased about!

However, once again I need some help identifying some birds.   I have posted
these photos on Flickr.
m("N02/sets/72157622764788249/","//www.flickr.com/photos/43736762");">http:

1.  I know that it is unlikely, however could this be a grey falcon?  It has a
yellow cere and legs and has facial markings.

2.  I was certain at the time that this was a Richard's Pipit.  However, when
looking at a few bird books I am now not as sure.

3.  These photos are not brilliant, however is this a Horsfield's bronze-cuckoo?

4. Is it a stubble quail?

5.  Once again, I am confused about my flycatchers!!  I saw a pair building a
nest but even after looking at the photos for a while I am not sure if they
were Satins or Leadens.  But don't they build a beautiful nest!!  I am leaning
towards a Satin as the breast marking looks to be concave? in relation to its
tail???

Any help will be appreciated!!

Kim