birding-aus

Cayley's 'What Bird Is That?'

To: "'Alan McBride'" <>, "'Tony Lawson'" <>
Subject: Cayley's 'What Bird Is That?'
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:00:15 +1100
I've also been meaning to mention over the last few days that Serventy &
Whittell 1976 [Birds of Western Australia (UWA Press, Perth)] provide
Aboriginal names for many birds species that occur in Western Australia.
Unfortunately, they do not provide Aboriginal names for the Black-necked
Stork.

While on the subject of the Willie Wagtail, Serventy & Whittell list the
following Aboriginal names:

Jind-ril (Godfrey's Tank, Canning Stock Route), Chitti-chitti (Coolawanyah &
Palinup River), Chee-ri-gal (North West Cape), Jindy-jindy (Lyons River),
Tjittee tjitee (Jigalong), Chindi-chindil (Warburton Range), Wil-ar-ing,
Wil-laring (Perth)and Jit-te-jit-te (Avon River).

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW