birding-aus

Live Lens

To: "Jeff Davies" <>
Subject: Live Lens
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:41:52 +1100
Yes..the ability to shoot in harsh light is the main driver for this
technology and will lead to an opening up  of new artistic aethetics.

Sunset/sunrise lighting  has dominated the majority of well balanced
photographs for so long that it will take a while for people to attune to
new types of lighting.

"Jeff Davies" <>
20/11/2009 05:27 PM

<>, "'Alistair McKeough'"
<>
cc
"'Birding-Aus'" <>, "'Bill Moorhead'"
<>
Subject
RE: [Birding-Aus] Live Lens

G'day Peter,

I think this facility has huge promise especially in a country like ours
with such harsh light for six months of every year.
Photographing an Albatross at sea on a bright day with the sun high in the
sky is a very hard task. If you were able to set your aperture for the
blacks while retaining the white areas, it is a simple task to then go
through Photoshop resetting the levels to something more normal, but with
the detail of both light and dark retained equally, this is impossible
with
current camera models. No amount of "Shadow Highlights" in Photoshop can
bring back detail that just isn't there to be retrieved. This is "Shadow
Highlights" at point of capture. The examples presented on the website are
extreme, a more subtle application at the discretion of the photographer
would be very handy.

Cheers Jeff.