birding-aus

Re: How many species in southern Qld/northern NSW this Spring?

To: L&L Knight <>
Subject: Re: How many species in southern Qld/northern NSW this Spring?
From: Michael Atzeni <>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:09:49 +0800 (WST)
Hi Laurie

I have been doing a bit of that with permission from Eremaea this Spring but
now somewhat reluctantly as it sets a bad precedent and defeats the purpose,
which is to give birders in this region incentive to visit the TBO forum
regularly and contribute sightings. No fun if I have to maintain the list,
update the forum, and trawl for the records as well :-)

Also, we've been doing these "seasonal twitches" since 2006 and they've been
pivotal in
generating many good regional/local records which are unique to the TBO forum.
That's another good reason to avoid using reported sightings (from
non-participants) on other sites;  better to leave the door open for the
players to use their own personal sightings.  We can always gap-fill
retrospectively from Eremaea, etc, at the end of the season if anyone gets the
urge. But it's the active participation -  not the final tally - that's most
important.

Apologies to anyone under the misconception they had to be a member. To be able
to post to the TBO forum just email me for the registration link. (To stop
spammers, we have disabled the registration link on the forum.)

Spring list is now up to 311 spp. Keep them coming!  Will update forum by the
weekend.

Grateful for any feedback and suggestions.

Cheers

Mick