birding-aus

Identifying the White-tailed Black cockatoos by voice alone - A little h

Subject: Identifying the White-tailed Black cockatoos by voice alone - A little help from YouTube
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 05:04:06 -0800
Hi Folks:

I had no idea how big the project of editing all of that footage I took in
aus was actually going to be!  All that to say I am still working on a doco
about Australian parrots.  Today I just finished the two White-tailed Black
Cockatoos.  What was not apparent to me at the time of filming them both was
how distinct their cries really are.  At least in the flocks I encountered
which were only 2 flocks of Baudins and several flocks of Carnabys.  I
thought it might be helpful for my aussie mates to have a quick reference in
the form of a youtube sound clip.   It can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kjosUFByg

Here are some things to listen for:

The Baudins seem to have abrupt calls that say:  Pull ya  Pull ya   Pull ya
The Carnaby's calls are noticeably drawn out:... like saying...
Mariiiiaaaaa    Marrriiiiaaaa

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions or any comments.
  and I hope this helps you sort out these two magnificent
White-tailed Black Cockies.

Also the whole parrot adventure can be read here:
www.polytelismedia.wordpress.com

Target date for the film release is early 2010

Cheers!

Don