birding-aus

Satin-Leaden Flycatchers again

To: <>, "Rod Gardner" <>
Subject: Satin-Leaden Flycatchers again
From: "Allan Richardson" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:17:05 +1100
Hi Rod

In recent years I've been pretty keen to test the calls of SF compared with
LF. And over the past few seasons have tracked down many a variation on the
LF call suspecting that a SF would show itself, only to find LF.  A week ago
I was working on the Newnes Plateau in the western Blue Mountains and
encountered LF regularly, most deviating from the calls that I am used to
hearing on the Central Coast where I live. The last flycatcher call I
encountered during the week sounded very much like a LF, but turned out to
be a SF. I have heard SF in the past, which sounded different to LF calls,
but I suspect, from my own experiences, that the variation of call within
each species may make it hard to draw some general rules of thumb here.

Regards

Allan Richardson