birding-aus

Re: [SPAM] [Birding-Aus] Australian Painted Snipe in Dubbo

To: Tim Jones <>, <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] [Birding-Aus] Australian Painted Snipe in Dubbo
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 03:36:11 +0930
Back in the late 1980s a Parks and Wildlife Ranger refused to grant Hilary
Thompson and me a permit to care for injured and orphaned wildlife.  At the
time there were very  few carers and so we were often asked to take injured
or orphaned animals.

We wanted a permit because half a cozen people we knew who had been told
they didn't need one, had later had their animals seized.   Such people
included our school headmaster, who for years had been caring for native
birds, and was quite an authority.

The ranger refused on the grounds that we might, for instance, go out and
find a nest of Pheasant Coucal chicks, report them as orphaned, "break their
legs" (heavens knows why he added this), then when the legs had healed,
smuggle them overseas.

I decided it was not in our best interests to continue taking in wildlife.
We do collect roadkills, having been asked to by staff at the NT Museum, but
that's all.

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
PO Box 3460 NT 0832, AUSTRALIA
Ph. 61 08 89 328306
Mobile: 04 386 50 835

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com.au
http://www.earthfoot.org
http://www.ausbird.com