birding-aus

Australian Painted Snipe in Dubbo

To: <>
Subject: Australian Painted Snipe in Dubbo
From: "Frank Hemmings" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:41:23 +1100
Hi All,

As part of our twitchathon effort, the Bumbling Bee-eaters (David Eldridge,
David Hair and myself) saw an Australian Painted Snipe in Dubbo on Saturday
afternoon; this was in the first 10 birds seen on the trip and congratulations
to Dave Eldridge for spotting it.  The bird, a female, was sitting low in a
small pond off Fitzroy St, N of the itnersection with River St & off the E side
of the road.  There were 2 small ponds, and it was sitting on the edge of the
smaller, further pond; it turns out that this is actually closer to the end of
Dowton Drive off River St.  Grid coordinates from Google Earth 32deg 13min
54.1sec S, 148deg 37min, 3.6sec E.  This was a lifer for me which I hadn't
expected on this trip, and to see this bird without expecting it at a site was
a great suprise.

Also of note were 2 Brolgas on a tank seen from Coolbaggie Forest Rd, 4km from
Eumungerie at 31deg 57min 43 sec S, 148deg 39min 32sec E.

I'm not sure if either of these are still there but I'm sure some may be
interested in finding them.  All up we recorded 185 species between Dubbo and
Newcastle - not bad for a first time run.  Cheers,

Frank

Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274