birding-aus

Request for feathers and the law

To: "'Syd Curtis'" <>, <>
Subject: Request for feathers and the law
From: "Andrew Thelander" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:41:11 +1000
Hi Syd

If memory serves me right, I think there was another law case which found
that a shark was not an "animal" as legally defined (in old animal welfare
legislation?).  Defendants' lawyers are usually able to advantageously
employ dictionary definitions and medieval case law that had a very
unscientific view of the animal kingdom.  As an ex-lawyer, I am not going to
dispute that lawyers can be naughty and should be watched carefully, but one
of the competing rules of statutory interpretation holds that penalizing
laws should be read restrictively.  The egg collectors benefited from that.
You and I might also appreciate it after our next Tax Office audit! (Joke -
hopefully!)

Of course, this may be new to Katarina in Sweden where all government
officials are assiduously fair and reasonable!  Eller hur!

Cheers

Andrew Thelander

Author of "Last Birds"