birding-aus

Baillons on Norfolk.

Subject: Baillons on Norfolk.
From: Barry Davies <>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:56:44 +1000
Marg Christian on Norfolk is was telling me today that there is a Baillon's Crake on the island. It seems to have turned up after or during the dust storms. It never ceases to amaze me that such a small bird, seemingly unfit for long distance travel, can cross at least 1100km of open ocean! Coming back against the prevailing wind may be more difficult. I think they have a new resident unless it is bucking the trend and heading for NZ (or as they say it on Norfolk, heading for Kiwi). They also have the first reported Dollarbird, a Whiskered Tern and two as yet unidentified terns.
Regards,
Barry Davies,
Gondwana Guides

--